- In the pre-dawn air, the 4 intrepid adventurers stepped onto the riverbank. As they relished the feel of solid ground under their feet, they began to orient themselves and get organized. The two rangers spotted something on the hill just upriver that deserved attention. Following some broken conversation, they set off ahead of the dwarf and mage.
- From the saddle of the small hill, they spied 3 small figures with a dog-sized rat. With the incessant rain, these figures appeared to be content to slowly stamp their feet in obvious discomfort, hidden under their wet hoods. Calling the others forward, Leo (the sacred ranger) convinces Takiir (the dwarf gladiator) to approach and hail the small group. Vician (the mage) remained wholly unconvinced that they had any business out in the rain, with no breakfast, no roof, wet socks, and little visible to gain from hanging around here. Arradin (ranger) took a knee beside Vician, politely trying to shush him, while notching an arrow should the need arise.
- Takiir, always ready to display his bravado and prowess, stepped near the circle and addressed the small group in the goblin tongue. “Greetings!” With a start, the figures tossed back their hoods and sprang into action. One ordered the others in kobold “defend and attack!” Two of the three moved behind rocks, while the third stood with his rat to receive a charge if necessary. The apparent leader launched a javelin that glanced off Takiir’s armor. A melee ensued….
- Arradin, with little hesitation pierced first the rat and then its master with a couple of arrows, only missing once. Leolite charged in with a low war whoop, swinging his bardiche in a deadly arc that unfortunately found only gorse and branches. After a few parries and thrusts, Takiir felled the second kobold at his front, with obvious satisfaction and bloodthirst.
- The kobold leader, seeing his second javelin miss Arradin, turned quickly away and started to disappear into the low brush. With little hesitation, Vician deigned to wipe the rain from his brow and fired off a dart of plasma that caught the kobold in the back and knocked to the muddy earth, cold and dead.
- A quick search of the bodies revealed little beyond the short hooded cloaks, small bets and sashes, their crude weapons, with the exception of the leader. Takiir cleaned and dressed his trophy kill, peeling the skin from it quickly, while Vician searched the leader. Vician found and took possession of a small bundle in the belt pouch. Unwrapping the dark, unnatural silk revealed a cruel looking dagger made of the fused bones of a long finger, sharpened like a claw and porous like a sponge. Clearly not intended for combat, this dagger still looked very business-like.
- With little further ado, the party set off to the northwest for the nearby keep in the rising light of the overcast and rainy day.